Monday, August 4, 2014

Hard Candy - Unwrap the Hard Sayings of Jesus: Drink My Blood, 8/3/14

Sermon 8-3-14 hard sayings – drink my blood  jn 6:48-60

48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, yet they died. 50 But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which anyone may eat and not die. 51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”
52 Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?”
53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” 59 He said this while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum.
60 On hearing it, many of his disciples said, “This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?”

New series - Hard sayings  -  Eat my flesh drink my blood

What is the context?
They were eating the food from the miracle of the feeding of the 5000

The story of the feeding
Peter Rollins version of it
the people enthralled w Jesus
They want to make him king
The roman’s rule has been tough
This guy will make our lives easy.

Did you ever want Jesus to make your life easy?
When my kids were sick
When I could barely feed my family
When my car wouldn’t start

Do you remember the Sermon on the Mount? 
Jesus said, ”do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear.  Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?” 
God knows and cares about our needs, but he did not come to earth to live in the flesh of a mortal to become king so he could feed the masses bread.

his kingdom - Its not about the earthly bread. Not about the miracles
They are thinking with their bellies instead of with their hearts and souls…
Jesus calls them out on this- many walk away

There is something more here than earthly bread
I am the bread of life

Reference to manna in the wilderness – quail and manna
Gathered every day – did not last if you tried to hoard it
Must depend on God daily

he is appealing to the sense of jewish history………..
he is making a reminder that we must depend on God daily
and as they were sustained by him via manna in the wilderness, so all will be sustained by me. 
Take me in
Make me a part of who you are.

a pretty bold, even seemingly arrogant claim.
No wonder many did not want to follow him.

They were not ready for something that serious
They wanted an easy faith, a shallow Christianity

Story about little boy falling out of bed
A little boy constantly fell out of bed. No matter what his parents did, the boy couldn’t sleep without rolling out of bed. An uncle came to visit and in the middle of the night the usual thump and cry was heard. In the morning the uncle teased the boy and asked him why he fell out so often. The little fellow thought for a moment and then said, “I don’t know, I guess it’s because I stay too close to the place where I get in.”

There is also the story of the orchard………many only visit the trees on the perimeter when the orchard itself is miles and miles deep.

They wanted nice parables and some miracles
Don’t ask me to set aside myself for you

People can be selfish and lazy.  Not really meaning to oppose him, but just wanted to live their lives without his interference.

Today we run into the same problem
Want enough religion to make us comfortable
When Jesus asks us to take him in, we can tend to turn the other way

We have to go deeper, we have to get further into this relationship.

There is an article I read recently about the missional church. 
It suggest that many Christians do good things but do not love God.
It asked the question - are we doing what we do in this life for god? Or with God? 
Are we simply doing good things or is the relationship the driving factor?

Jesus is not looking for a cursory belief in some teacher. 
Believing in jesus should be a person’s life work.  
eat my flesh.  Drink my blood.  Take it all in.  let it change you.

He invites us to do more than believe in him
He invites us to love him
And to live our lives based on that love 
          To reprioritizing ones life
          To take up  the cross
          To go the second mile
          To give ones self away

He made his point- and then this……..from verse 66
66 From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.

the people thought that they did not need jesus –
do you?
our world is full of those who need jesus
Full of people who need help
Raytown
The people walking across the street to Raytown
The woman whose mother died, hugging mike Scott
The person who has three terminal friends at work
Our friends need help
We need help
Someone is here today that needs help - that needs Jesus

Who is jesus? He is the bread of life

What is bread? Bread sustains us.  It fills our bellies.  It gives us comfort.
How much food is in your pantry?  Why so much?

   after WWII many children were left homeless and orphaned.  Allied forces would gather these children into group homes where they were fed, clothed and cared for, but many of the children had trouble sleeping at night.  An Army psychologist came upon the idea of giving each child an extra piece of bread at night before bed to help them sleep. Some ate it and with a full stomach, slept better.  Many of the children though,  did not eat the bread but rather held it closely to them as though it offered some sort of peace and protection.  Those children slept soundly comforted by the knowledge that tomorrow would include bread.

Jesus offers us not just bread for tomorrow,
but bread for eternity and a Peace that passes all understanding
for those who trust and believe in the one who is "the bread of life".

He calls for us to take him in.
He calls for a deep passionate love. 
A love that seeks him when we are struggling. 
A love that thanks him when all is well. 
a love that recognizes him as the friend that sticks closer than a brother,
and a love that upon our death bed welcomes us home.

When every other philosophy of  life fails, we can trust is Jesus.

To all who would listen again today he says……….

 “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.



No comments: