Monday, June 17, 2013

The Pursuit of God - Part 1 Psalm 63:1-8



Sermon 6-16-13 AW Tozer…the pursuit of God xk
Chpt 1 Following Hard After God
Scripture:  Psalm 63:1-8
 1 You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you; I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you, in a dry and parched land where there is no water. 2 I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. 3 Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. 4 I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands. 5 I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you.   6 On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night. 7 Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. 8 I cling to you; your right hand upholds me.

introduction
New series based on tozers book
Who he was
Aiden Wilson Tozer (April 21, 1897 - May 12, 1963) was an American Christian pastor [Christian and Missionary Alliance], preacher, author, magazine editor, and spiritual mentor.[1] For his work, he received two honorary doctorate degrees [Wheaton College & Houghton College but had no college degree].

The sense that the book title sounds hard…pursuit of God
Book is avail in the bookstore
But it is not about making spirituality heavy, but  making spirituality relevant

Why this series is here
He felt that the church was going the wrong way, and it was 1946!!

pursuing God
Chapter one- following hard after God

Fathers day thought -1991 Hook – happy thought.  I’m a dad!
What should a person/a Christian father pursue?
Do the right thing –
Build Character, discover a relevant spirituality

Men’s Ministry/Father’s Day (really all of us)
The goal of Men’s Ministry is to come alongside men as they seek to become better husbands, fathers, grandfathers, role models, mentors and friends.  This looks like learning, experiencing and living out the Great Commandment to Love God and Love Neighbor.  Not an end, but a way of life.

I love baseball, we had a wonderful ball game in the circle a few years ago.
but just teaching kids baseball isn’t enough
All of our lives need another side, a deeper

The pursuit of God begins w God - Methodists teach prevenient grace
We love him because he first loved us 1 jn 4:19       SLIDE
The impulse to pursue god originates with him
So we are pursuing God, but we are not taking the credit

Yet, We all have a spiritual side
Our deepest Spiritual connections come from God
Psalm  42
As the deer pants for streams of water,  so my soul pants for you, my God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God… …..7 Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls;

We all have a spiritual side but we have missed the boat
Yet we Christians have gotten it wrong- what it isn’t…….
Yet the church has made it so shallow…. And this is 1946

Christianity has become transactional, mechanical and spiritless”
Christ may be "received" without creating any special love for Him in the soul of the receiver. The man is "saved," but he is not hungry nor thirsty after God. In fact he is specifically taught to be satisfied and encouraged to be content with little.

Transactional Christianity looks like this
Hello Jesus yes I choose you
Shake hands with someone in the congregation
Walk away
Do I know that person?

“How tragic......everything is made to center in on the initial act of accepting God and we are not expected thereafter to crave any further revelation of God to our souls...
·        a logic which insists that if we have found Him, we need no more seek him.”
·        Spirituality may begin here, but it is much more than a cursory handshake w Jesus

The church has engaged in trivial pursuit
Thinking of the game where you are rewarded for knowing lots of trivia
Many of us have “majored in the minors.” 
We settle for trivial pursuits (i.e. fame, fortune, power)
In the end anything less than pursuing God results in a life that is a fraction of the life God offers us.

We know much of the bible, but little of God
We know much of doctrine, but little of God

Tozer said,  “it is not mere words that nourish the soul, but God Himself, and unless and until hearers find God in personal experience they are not the better for having heard the truth....the Bible is not an end in itself, but a means to bring man to an intimate and satisfying knowledge of God, that they may enter  into Him, that they may delight in His Presence, may taste and know the inner sweetness of the very God Himself in the core and center of their hearts.”

The modern scientist has lost God amid the wonders of His world; we Christians are in real danger of losing God amid the wonders of His Word. (14)

In his 1786 “Thoughts upon Methodism,” Wesley wrote:
“I am not afraid that the people called Methodists should ever cease to exist either in Europe or America. But I am afraid lest they should only exist as a dead sect, having the form of religion without the power. And this undoubtedly will be the case unless they hold fast both the doctrine, spirit, and discipline with which they first set out.”

We get stuck in the humanness of the moment.  The mechanics of a thing.
Stuck in churchiness
We sing a song and are caught up in the mechanics; should I sing? That person sings loudly – that drums are too loud – the words are off
And we never actually sang, never lifted our hearts to God never told him that we love him, never entered in.

A savoring is needed- a leaning into Christ.  A savoring of God
John 17:3 Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

Transition-Salvation is not an ending but a beginning
The moment the Spirit has quickened us to life in regeneration our whole being senses its kinship to God and leaps up in joyous recognition…It is, however, not an end but an inception, for now begins the glorious pursuit, the heart's happy exploration of the infinite riches of the God
The infinite riches  of god, his joy.  His love.  His peace.

So there is more than this choice……ok, say more
Jn 3- Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit[b] gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You[c] must be born again.’ The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”[d]

here is an invitation to spend time in the deeper part of your life.
When we begin to allow god to speak to us….
When we listen in prayer
Our life begins to be submitted to him in a greater way
This is not heavy but joyful

It is not difficult, but it is simple.  simplistic
Simplicity…come as a child
Strip down to essentials
Wesley focus on essentials
Strip down our theology
I don’t want to know about God, I want to know God
          Who are you God
          Who am I god?
          How can I be about your work today?

Paul said, "That I may know Him" (Philippians 3:10)
When we start to get on God’s wave length, we recognize that We know him; yet long for him more
holy people have a desire for God
Jacob wrestles with the angel.  Genesis

Being made in His image we have within us the capacity to know Him. (15)

Although the concept of a personal relationship is not specifically scriptural,
it is our experience that god is known personally.  Not via the pastor, not via your grandmother, but personally.

Describe how this happens for you  Pastor Gerald Fry, after work on Wed night

Moses prayed "O God, show me thy glory." (Exodus 33:18) People that seek God want to taste, to touch with their hearts, to see with their inner eyes the wonder that is God. 
“The continuous and unembarrassed interchange of love and thought between God and the soul of the redeemed man in the throbbing heart of New Testament religion.”

Conclusion
God waits to be wanted.

seeking God, spiritual discovery does not narrow one's life, but brings it, rather, to the level of highest possible fulfillment.

My hope is that your heart will burn for God. Yes for his church. Yes for his book, mostly for him

Lets pray together
O Father, at times I have so felt your presence, and your goodness.  
It was good and I wanted more!  
At other times I have been aware of my lack of desire and lack of thirst for you. 
I am painfully aware of my  need for grace.  
O Father, Son, and Holy  Spirit, I want to want you, not "sometimes",  but at all times, I want to thirst for you always.
Begin in mercy, a new work within me!
Say to my soul, “Rise up, my friend, and come away with me.” 
Then give me grace to rise and follow you up from "the misty lowland in which I have wandered for so long.
Raise me up.  Set my feet on a rock and give me a firm place to stand" not “sometimes”, but at all times. In Jesus' name, AMEN

No comments: