Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Carols: O Come All Ye Faithful, 12/13/15

Sermon Dec 13 carols – o come all ye faithful  Luke 2:8-15
And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”
13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, 14 “Glory to God in the highest heaven,  and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.” 15 When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”

Christmas.  A time for stability.  Joy.  Merriment.  Family.  Remember the good old days.  Lights.  Trees.  Presents.  Love.  Its all  good and I am safe.  Nostalgia- Merry Christmas

What if Christmas isn’t a time of my human comfort but is rather a time of change and movement?

The shepherds said, Lets to to Bethlehem.
At Christmas everyone is going somewhere

Angels go to the shepherd’s field
Shepherds go to the manger – lets go to Bethlehem
Wisemen make a long journey
[in a little told part of the Christmas story] Joseph, Mary & baby go to Egypt
God is moving the story of the world along
Everyone seems to be going somewhere

And people are changing.
Not just mobile, but things are changing for them
Their world story is morphing
Angels change [this might be a stretch]  I don’t know, but I bet they became more popular after singing in the honors choir
Shepherds changing…. They saw the messiah.  A story that they had all grown up with was not complete
Wise men………..kings of the east……. Leave their thrones.  Leave their comfort leave their families and follow the star
Commercial – wise men from the east  --East- from the east.  Not like us.  Not jews.  Inclusive nature of the story.
          Young and old, rich and poor, jew and gentile.
Back to changing - Mary gives up her simple life of a teenager.
Joseph becomes the protector of Gods son.
Scared into it by an angel…….

This story changes people. That is the whole point.
Lets go to Bethlehem

Change is difficult, we don’t like it
And at Christmas? What about my nostalgic feelings? Christmas is about me and mine, not about me changing.

And so we run into the first enemy of change.
People have to want to change
I like my life the way that it is.  Go ask someone else to change.

Three steps for change:
1.   Leaving the old

Shepherds, wisemen, joseph and mary changed
But we don’t want to change

How many counselors does it take to change a lightbulb?

We want to encounter the baby and stay the same
In fact, many of us spend our lives praying to the baby so he will keep us comfortable.
Christmas invited us to change.  To bow the knee

In  order to want to change, we have to become submissive.
In many Christian circles that is a bad word.
I am not referring to wives submitting to husbands.  I am referring to the notion that if we would be a person of God, we must submit our will to his.

The American sinners prayer.  Dear God I know I am a sinner.  Forgive me.  Jesus may your blood cover my sin.  And now back to my life, AMEN

A prayer of conversion is a prayer that puts God’s will before mine.
Not my will but thine be done.
It means that I will listen instead of always talking
It means that I submit to the story instead of ignoring the story
It means that I will submit to the story instead of insisting that the story submits to me.

In the biblical story everyone, almost is in submission to God’s purpose.  Sherpherds don’t argue.  They go.  Angels go.  Wisemen go.  Mary welcomes the job.  Joseph finally gets it. 

The only person who is not submitted in the Christmas story is Herod.
Why?  He is in charge.  He is on top.  We don’t need another king.
Do we ever sound like our lives are saying  we don’t need another king? I have me.

When I refer to submission and think of our lives, I am thinking of whether or not we are listening to the holy spirit.  Whether or not we are willing to be led.

Take the dog on a leash.
Do we stay by the side of the master?
Or do we pull and tug and drag him along?
Mom and barney the st Bernard
Maybe we put the collar on for special occaisions, only to take it off when we want to go on our merry way.

Changing who we are begins with a willingness on our part to change.

2.   The neutral zone – learning to be comfortable in a chaotic world
The stock market is down?  Must be the end.
War in the middle east?  Must be the end…….
Friend, the world is chaotic……… and your life is going to feel that way from time to time.
Point is not a life of comfort, the point is that God is with us Emmanuel

Being willing to change
Being comfortable in the wilderness
Embracing the new
The moment we do this, we hold on tight…….

3.   Embrace the new- don’t get stuck.  
The moment we arrive at a level of comfort it is probably time to change again
What got you to this point may not be what gets you to the next
Peter rollins story of the 2nd mile church
If you feel that God is troubling the waters of your spirit, it’s a good thing and it is probably a sign that the holy spirit is working on you.

We are invited to go.  To come to the manger.
So there is this hymn, this Christmas carol
"O Come, All Ye Faithful" has been attributed to various authors, including an Englishman, John Francis Wade (1711–1786),

Some question over authorship - over fifty competing versions available

So many translations that you cant discover the original
No one knows its true shape
We are a conglomeration of stuff
A patchwork of good

Who are the faithful?

They worshiped.
They went…….. everyone in this story is going somewhere
When they got there, they worshipped.
O come let us adore him
To worship is to say – you are good.  You are worthy.
You matter.  I give myself to you.  To worship is to leave the world of myself and bow at the manger.

Conclusion
Are you Trying to make it the perfect Christmas?
I hope my families feels good about themselves.  I hope they get what they want.
Trying to make a perfect Christmas?
Stop.  Its not your job.  Its not what Christmas is about
Relax.  God has already made a perfect Christmas

What do you want for Christmas? What we want for Christmas is irrelevant.
That question indicates that we don’t get it.
Christmas isn’t my birthday or my child’s birthday.
What does god want?
What does god want of me?

What do I want for Christmas?
Dinner w my kids
What does your pastor want?
For you to love God more and more.  For you to love others.  To reach out to those in need
To make it a habitual exercise of your life.
To move away from self and ever towards God

O come, all ye faithful…..come and behold him……

No comments: