Monday, April 13, 2015

The Kingdom: On Earth As It Is In Heaven, 4/12/15

Sermon 4-12-15 kingdom- on earth as it is in heaven Acts 1:1-9
In my former book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus began to do and to teach until the day he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles he had chosen. After his suffering, he presented himself to them and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God. On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. For John baptized with[a] water, but in a few days you will be baptized with[b] the Holy Spirit.” Then they gathered around him and asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?” He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.

Starting a new series on the kingdom

Who is theolophilus?  Friend of God – great title

Jesus in scripture announces the kingdom over and over
When his ministry began……Jesus came to declare the Kingdom of God is at hand - Luke 4:18-1918 “The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me  to proclaim good news to the poor He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners  and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,19     to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”[f]

When he taught his prayer-Lord’s Prayer:  Bringing Heaven here on earth - Matthew 6:9-13  
“‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, 10 your kingdom come, your will be done,    on earth as it is in heaven.
What is the kingdom like in heaven?  Jesus wants us to bring that here

Here the disciples ask about the kingdom and are told to wait for the spirit to fall.
Signs of the spirit……..kingdom living
Learning to live outside of yourself

Lets talk about church and the kingdom.
Lets deconstruct the notion of church
I go to church
This one, that one
The church is a building.  A group of people
A fellowship.

Jn 2:19 Jesus said I will tear this temple down….. building is not necessary

Kingdom of heaven
Kingdom of God
Kingdom is both here and now – and god wants to do something

Overarching idea…….we are citizens of gods kingdom

Back to the church
We need a kingdom-shaped view of the church, not a church-shaped view of the kingdom. 

Lets talk about the idea of a kingdom? 
Roman empire.  British empire.
What is God’s kingdom?
Who are his subjects.  Not just Americans.  Not just Christians.
Not just people like us.
Everyone is in his purveyance. 
Is 66:1-2  “Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool.
Where is the house you will build for me?   Where will my resting place be?

Psalm 2 Why do the nations conspire[a] and the peoples plot in vain?The kings of the earth rise up and the rulers band together  against the Lord and against his anointed, saying,“Let us break their chains  and throw off their shackles.”The One enthroned in heaven laughs; the Lord scoffs at them.

The king in charge makes the rules.
Examples
And of course I have rules for my life………
But I don’t really have a kingdom do I

We have a choice in life, to accept the rule of god or reject it
Kingdoms rise and fall.  Not the k of God

Where is it
We like boundaries
God has little or no interest in boundaries.
We live in a certain state, a certain county.  Does jesus recognize when he crosses over from Missouri to Kansas?
He doesn’t care about ku/mu rivalry.
These are made up boundaries to him

The story of the Russian winters-I recall a farmer whose large property was on the Russian-Finnish border. He had to decide whether he wanted his farm to be in Finland or Russia. He chose Finland. The Russian officials set out to inquire why he didn’t want to remain in Russia. He said, “Look, all my life I’ve wanted to live in our Mother Russia, but now at my age, frankly, I don’t think I could endure another Russian winter!”

What does this mean for us?
He has claims upon us
Not a guilt based list of things to do, but the chance to be on the journey of discovery about what truly brings joy in life

All that jesus began to do and to teach.  He started something.  He wants us to continue it

There is a new class at wcc
A story to share from the KE class
Week 1:  on earth as it is in heaven

We are sent to the ends of the earth to be witnesses and to build God’s kingdom here on earth.  The kingdom life is uncomfortable and challenging. 
In my younger years I spent much time in studies related to spiritual gifts.  The goal was to find the specific one you were created for and use it for His glory.  But as I have "grown up" in the Lord, I realized how compartmentalized I became in my thinking and serving and how much I was missing out on in trying to stay within the boundaries of those gifts I was assigned.  It has been freeing to break out of my element, face some unknown territory and find I don't need to specifically have the talent to experience God.  So yesterday I participated in a Habitat for Humanity Women Build.  A few good men taught us nine women use a jack hammer, power saw and air powered staple gun so we could work on the outside of the house.  We also hauled cement and rock up and down basement stairs and old lumber to a dumpster.  Had I known beforehand what the job entailed, I would have immediately said, "I can't do that stuff, I'm out.  How about I just bring lunch, that is within my comfort zone, I can easily share my gift of hospitality without fear." 

I didn't need any information, but we were told the owner of the home, Matrika, is a single mother working in the Raytown school district and has a young daughter.  It was a tiny little house, but you can just imagine all the love, sweat and free man hours that will be wrapped up into this endeavor by the time it is finished.  It is just about the motion of mercy, telling God I'm in without knowing the details and maximizing my gifting for His glory.  I wonder what our Habitat leader thought when these nine women exited their vehicles laughing, whining about the cold and wanting their picture taken together?  I believe he was pleasantly surprised at the end of the day with our strength, abilities, and enthusiasm.  I always narrow everything down to two choices in my life, so today I say:  Do I lie dormant or do I hear His kingdom calling?

Our lives are so much about us
In the kingdom, our lives are aobut everyone, expecially those who are in need
The KE class invites you to do some The experiments

·         Fast from food for a time to remind yourself that food is not god
·         Grocery shop … donate all of it to food pantry
·         Pay for someone behind you @ drive-in
·         Sleep on floor … identify w/ those who don’t have beds
·         Shower w/o hot water  for a week
·         Ride a bicycle for a week……
·         Give away something valuable … don’t replace it
·         Use candles for a week … read books instead of watch TV
·         Donate to electric company’s poverty fund
·         Kiva – micro loan to someone in a developing country

Do you live as though you are the king of your life
Or do you live as if jesus is king of your life?

The beatitudes are the Introduction to the Sermon on the Mount Mt 5:3-10 [the message]  These are the principles of the kingdom

“You’re blessed when you’re at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule. “You’re blessed when you feel you’ve lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you. “You’re blessed when you’re content with just who you are—no more, no less. That’s the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can’t be bought. “You’re blessed when you’ve worked up a good appetite for God. He’s food and drink in the best meal you’ll ever eat. “You’re blessed when you care. At the moment of being ‘care-full,’ you find yourselves cared for. “You’re blessed when you get your inside world—your mind and heart—put right. Then you can see God in the outside world. “You’re blessed when you can show people how to cooperate instead of compete or fight. That’s when you discover who you really are, and your place in God’s family. 10 “You’re blessed when your commitment to God provokes persecution. The persecution drives you even deeper into God’s kingdom.


Lead to holy communion

No comments: