Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The Real Jesus: Just a Man or God's Son? 1/18/15

Sermon 1-18-15  the real jesus – just a man or son of God

After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James and led them up a high mountain by themselves.  There he was transfigured before them.  His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light.  Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus.  Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here.  If you wish, I will put up three shelters….one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.”  While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.  Listen to him!”  When the disciples heard this, they fell face down to the ground, terrified.  But Jesus came and touched them. “Get up,” he said. “Don’t be afraid.”  When they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus.  As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus instructed them, “Don’t tell anyone what you have seen, until the Son of Man has been raised from the dead.”  Matthew 17:1-9

The series – the real jesus
Passive or visionary… he has a plan and he needs your help
Rule breaker or rule follower – looked past the rules to reach people

The question – shocking to some [I had a dream about this moment]

You have the right to ask the question
People asked jesus questions all the time

Is there a time when everyone asks the question? who is jesus
Maybe not everyone,
some just take what others have taught them and never doubt or question
Then there is the rest of us

This question is the foundation of everything that we do.
Without Jesus, the son of God
Our caring for others is simply good works
Without jesus the son of God- life is short on meaning and purpose. 
Without a loving god that cares for us, how would we ever find help for our problems
How would we ever find direction for our lives?
Without jesus as the son of God, we are left still in our sins.

My parents told me, the church told, me to believe,
but it cant be force fed

You cant force jesus on someone
President diem in south Vietnam  pg 5

All of us must decide for ourselves
I have to decide for myself
Preachers must ask themselves…….do I believe what we teach

I am proud to tell you that while I was working on this,
The topic brought me to tears.
As I sat there and typed…..i was struck again
The inner witness of the spirit -inside my heart -that Jesus is Gods son

But lets talk about the question

First let me say, which Jesus?
I want to talk for a moment about two Jesus’s
The first one is the one taught by many Christians
          He is angry.  He is judgemental, he is demanding
          He sounds very human
Then there is the real jesus.
the cosmic Christ of eternity

When I speak of  The cosmic jesus
I am reminding you that he is the son of god
As The spirit brooded over the water at creation
The gospel of john tells us that in the beginning was the word
And that All things were made by him. 
without him, nothing was made that was made

some people don’t want to believe in jesus because of how he has been taught
my hope is that in time, the angry judgement teachings about jesus will go away and die 

what we actually see in the scripture over and over
is who jesus really is,
I think of his teaching:

Ie
Love the lord your god with all your heart soul mind and strength Love your neighbor as yourself
Turn the other cheek.  Love your enemies
There is indeed something amazing about this jesus

While the human, angry jesus, drives others away
The person of jesus as see in his teachings, draws all men unto him
John 12 - If I be lifted up, I will draw all men unto me

I love the person of Jesus as defined and spoken by him
I see in him the words of life
I see that he and the father are one.
When he is lifted up as he is, and shown to the world and the amazing savior of love, he will draw people to himself.

And so each of us must choose

Choose for eternity.  Yes. but choose for this life as well.

I talk to people all the time who are worried about loved ones who are non believers.
The life of a non believer can be so difficult.

Sure Christians get depressed and such too, but imagine no faith in God.
No hope, no joy,

So our choice has huge implications for how we live now.
We need someone bigger than who we are

The story of the three year old that followed his mom all over the house.
I just want to be with you……
Do you feel that?  Do you feel that desire to be with him? 
Do you know that you are not alone in this world?

The transfiguration intro- so whats going on?

Lets back up a few chapters - Who do you say that I am
Mt 16 – cesarean philippi
A park.  A place of rest
Jesus asked of his disciples, “who do you say that I am?” 
Perhaps you remember the disciples responses, “some say you are John the Baptist, some say Elijah, Jeremiah or one of the other prophets.”  “But who do you say that I am?’
And Peter was the 1st to give voice to the possibility….”Thou art the Christ, the son of the living God!”

Then jesus explained that he must go to Jerusalem, suffer and die
Peter said, may it never be
Get thee behind me. You have in mind not the things of god but man
If jesus dissected our lives today, how many times do you think he might say
You have in mind not the things of god, but the things of man

The Disciples have walked with Jesus, talked with Jesus, been taught by Jesus; witnessed him walking on water, healing the sick, feeding the 5000 and yet they still wonder….who is this man? 
He eats like other men, grows weary and sleeps like other men and yet….y
Yes jesus was a man.   A human.

The Jewish historian Josephus and the Roman historian Tacitus both make mention of the Christus, Pontius Pilate and the crucifixion. 
Other religions even weigh in about who this Jesus was. 
The Buddhist believe that Jesus was a wise and enlightened man. 
The Hindus believe Jesus to be the incarnation of God ; like Krishna. 
The Unitarians describe Jesus as a great teacher and as a faith healer.  Islam proclaims Jesus to be a true prophet, sent by God but now superseded by Muhammed. 
Others have described Jesus as being a moral authority, a compassionate man, an extraordinary teacher, a great philosopher and a very good religious leader. 

Surely he was a human.  But is he more
What do you believe Jesus to be?

So whats going on in the transfiguration?
Jesus takes 3 of his disciples, his closest friends with them to the mountain and there he is transfigured, transformed, undergoes a metamorphosis…
His face becomes like the sun and his clothes are as white as the light and there is Moses and Elijah. 

They want to build a church to commemorate the moment.  Lets assign a pastor, set worship times and make some rules.  That is what humans do

Jesus said, sorry.  We are not staying on the mountain top
The people are down there.
Lets take a break and remember who we are on this mountain but we cant stay here forever
Christians want to stay on the mountain for ever.

Consider this….Moses is the greatest person in Jewish history.  It was he who led Israel from the bondage of Egypt.  It was he who ascended Mount Sinai and received the law from the very finger of God.  It was he who lead Israel across the wilderness and delivered them to the Promised Land.  Moses represents the goodness of God, his delivery and his order as found in the commandments.

And there was Elijah, the greatest of the Jewish prophets.  There they are with Jesus, their companion and teacher…….the law and the prophets and then comes the voice of God…”this is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.  Listen to him”.

God is plopping jesus down in front of the greatest leader, the greatest prophet and then says.  This is my Son, ……Listen to him.

And peter wanted to build a house
What peter should have done was to just stand in awe.
Be still and know that I am God ps 46 read it?
Get scripture and bible

Where do you see him?
Cs lewis – liar, lunatic or lord

Have you decided who jesus really is?

In the quiet silence of a quiet moment it is ok to ask If it is true that he is the same yesterday today and forever, then he will answer you

In Jeremiah 29 God calls to his people….You shall Seek me,  and you shall find me, when you search for me with all your heart.  And I will be found  by you declares the lord

Last week I was on vacation in a nice warm, beachy, wavy place
I sat every morning in the quiet peacefulness of creation and basked in the glory of Gods presence.
To the ocean my vacation experience……..


Where have you been when you have experienced his presence? 
Do you have a mountain top
Can you go there again?  Can you hear his voice resonate in your heart? 
If you can then be still and Listen to him!!!

Conclusion – the question, the choice
It has been said that
All other religions are man reaching up to god.
In Christianity god is reaching down to man

What if he is just a man?
People die all the time.  it is what we do
If jesus Is just another, then we have no hope in him

But the scripture teaches, and our souls bear witness to something more
 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Ro 5:7-8

When I follow the teachings of  jesus I feel a peace and I feel closer to god

Romans 8: 16 16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.
About jesus……. I choose him.  I do it.



No comments: