Monday, August 18, 2014

Hard Candy - Unwrap the Hard Sayings of Jesus - Peace or Sword - 8/17/14

Sermon 8-17-14 hard sayings – peace or sword  mt 10:34-39

34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn “‘a man against his father,   a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—36     a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’[c]
37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it

Series – hard sayings…..this one is surely a hard one!

One thing is certain, Jesus did not advocate conflict.
He was prophecied as the prince of peace
Angels announced him saying - Peace on earth, goodwill towards men
He taught His followers to turn the other cheek
No resistance or retaliation when they were attacked or ill treated
In the beatitudes he said, “Blessed are the peacemakers”

Scolding peter at His arrest

Then the men stepped forward, seized Jesus and arrested him. 51 With that, one of Jesus’ companions reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear.52 “Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. 53 Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? 54 But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?” mt 26:50-54

Why a sword? Context – it seems out of character for Jesus
Cut to the quick – cut to the heart – get to the heart of the matter –
cause some new  thinking. 
He is going to disrupt your life paradigm

Fine.  But separate me from my family?

For many of us, the thought of actively proclaiming that our love for mother, father, brother, sister, is less than our love for Christ is a heartbreaking task. Who among us can scoop up a child or grandchild, and then announce you love Christ more than the child?
Intro - Relational issues. Mine. Issues with my family Love for my family
How much do I love my wife and  kids
The bonding that we have with our family.  mom, dad, sisters, wife and kids

I’m reminded of Abraham and when God called him to sacrifice Isaac.
How hard must that have been.
Isaac was the sign of the promise
God didn’t want issac on the throne of Abrahams heart
God wanted to sit on that throne
By the way, who, what is sitting on the throne of your heart?

Lets talk about The nature of patriarchal clans
Dedication to the leader of the clan
If we didn’t listen, we would starve to death
Prior to the reformation there was not all this emphasis on individual decisions
Honor your father and your mother
Abraham leaves ur of the chaldees…….he doesn’t take a poll
Philippian jailer
Constantine becomes a Christian
Jesus is saying, love the head of the clan……..thats me/him/Jesus
You are in a new family now

Another interesting passage on the family is: Mark 3
20 Then Jesus entered a house, and again a crowd gathered, so that he and his disciples were not even able to eat. 21 When his family[b] heard about this, they went to take charge of him, for they said, “He is out of his mind.”
22 And the teachers of the law who came down from Jerusalem said, “He is possessed by Beelzebul! By the prince of demons he is driving out demons.”
23 So Jesus called them over to him and began to speak to them in parables: “How can Satan drive out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 And if Satan opposes himself and is divided, he cannot stand; his end has come. 27 In fact, no one can enter a strong man’s house without first tying him up. Then he can plunder the strong man’s house. 28 Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter, 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.”
30 He said this because they were saying, “He has an impure spirit.”
31 Then Jesus’ mother and brothers arrived. Standing outside, they sent someone in to call him. 32 A crowd was sitting around him, and they told him, “Your mother and brothers are outside looking for you.” 33 “Who are my mother and my brothers?” he asked. 34 Then he looked at those seated in a circle around him and said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! 35 Whoever does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.” Mk 3:20-35

Obedience to God

If you follow me there may be decisions that you would have to make that your family will not understand.
They wont come home for Christmas
They might become a missionary and move to Africa
When I was 25 I became a Methodist.  I wanted to be a Methodist pastor.
          If your kid becomes a Presbyterian or a catholic or a Baptist, its ok
One time in my life when my mom went to war against a decision that I was making. 

Book- where does a mother go to resign?          PICTURE
She thought she was right.  It was my decision.  Everyone has to follow their soul, whether their family agrees or not.

Are kids and our family don’t belong to us.  We are only stewards.

Hannah
Was childless.  Prayed for a child
Samuel was born.  She gave him back to God
Letting children go . . . let God have them.
IF God gives her a son she'll give him back. She released him for God purpose.

Another interesting passage is in luke 9
57 As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.” 58 Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.” 59 He said to another man, “Follow me.” But he replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.” 60 Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.” 61 Still another said, “I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say goodbye to my family.” 62 Jesus replied, “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.” Lk 9:57-62
They were making excuses
Let me bury my father. You go proclain
Jesus wasn’t against this, it was an excuse
What are your excuses?

There is a reward for living life in perspective
Remember the rich young ruler story -
21 Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” 22 At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.
23 Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!” 24 The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, “Children, how hard it is[e] to enter the kingdom of God! 25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”
26 The disciples were even more amazed, and said to each other, “Who then can be saved?” 27 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.”
28 Then Peter spoke up, “We have left everything to follow you!”
29 “Truly I tell you,” Jesus replied, “no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel 30 will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age: homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—along with persecutions—and in the age to come eternal life. 31 But many who are first will be last, and the last first.”  Mk 10

And so we end with a consideration Self denial
Whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me
Find your life and lose it.  lose your life to find it.

We should not shrink from inconvenience or sacrifice in service of God's kingdom.

We should give up our definition of the good life with the goal of personal success to find our true identity and purpose in Christ's service.

If my life is about my wife an d kids I have nothing left to give to God.
If my life is about God, I become so much more that I can give to my family.

What we thought was a passage about not loving has turned into a passage about loving God

Not a negative against your family, but a positive for everyone
Love your enemies.  Pray for those who persecute you. 
Turn the world on its head. 

Yet its not an either or 
God’s love does not operate on the theory that there is only so much love to go around. Loving Christ more does not diminish the love one already has for family.
Loving Christ more instead raises the entire level of love available for all people - especially those whom we already hold dear.


Lets pray.

No comments: