Monday, May 12, 2014

New Beginnings: Encouragement, John 21:15-19, 05/11/14

Sermon 5-11-2014 new beginnings – resurrection stories peter reinstated Jn 21:15-25
15 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” “Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.” 16 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.” 17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. 18 Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” 19 Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!”

Its mothers day.  My mother is here.  The sermon better be good.

New beginnings – resurrection stories
There is so much here
Do you love me? 3 times.  I love you
Saying I  love you once is not enough

Lets go back in time
Jesus says-Come follow me and I will make you to become fishers of men
That is peters purpose
Yet he has denied jesus three times
Yes there was the appearance in the upper room,
Now he has gone back to fishing
7 of them are together
“I’m going out to fish,”
but that night they caught nothing. 
Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was him “Friends, haven’t you any fish?”  “No,” they answered. 
 “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.”
Net breaking, boat sinking load of fish
Jumps in, 100 yards from shore
They eat some fish
 14 This was the third time Jesus appeared to his disciples after he was raised from the dead.

Fishing on the wrong side………hey, fish on the other side.
Roll your eyes…….right - Ok, whatever
Jesus is trying to get them and us to see that often the way that seems right to us is not what we should be doing
To take an honest look from time to time is very healthy

The appearance in the upper room was general. This is personal
Today peter is reinstated.

Maybe you have had a fractured relationship and hoped to reconcile
You ran into each other.  You were glad to be in proximity
But you didn’t really get to talk
You are still not sure where things stand
Then one day you get a sit down
This is that moment for peter.  A moment of hope.

In this story jesus does the following
Finds him / Loves him / Forgives him  /Sends him- feed my sheep

One theologian suggests
In life, Jesus walks thru the stormy seas.  He comes walking on water
Now it is Jesus on the shore
The work is done
The disciples must do the work on the stormy seas
Jesus has done all that he can do, the rest of the work is up to us
Find, love forgive, send
Interesting ly, this is what churches are supposed to do
Invite grow send
Easum conference

this is also what good parents, good mothers,  mentors do as well
Find the person.  Love the person. forgive the person.  Send the person.

Those who love others are never content to allow a relationship to languish
They are never content to allow someone to under produce
Sometimes this is out of our control
But when you love people, you desire that they fulfill their potential-
6th grade mrs jackson

And we reach out to our kids
It is amazing the power that parents have over children
                You say a sharp word and you forget it.  They dont
                Dad- I cant be your dad and your friend
                I have never had any friends
                Vs
                I love you and I am proud of you
The power of  words.  Use them wisely
They carry on well past your death

Jesus could have asked him anything
Do u fear me?  do u believe in me?  do you honor me? will you serve me?
Bu he asks…….Do you love me
Why?  Love is the fulfillment of the commandments. 
When a person acts out in love, everything else is taken care of
love is what holds relationships together

Jesus is not content with us languishing in our worst moments
The denials were peters worst moment
But they were not to be his last.
All of us have a story.  A worst moment.
You can feel like you are stuck in the muck sometimes
It can be pretty depressing

Pretty lonely
Out fishing on the lake. t’s a lonely moment…. Not catching a thing
Quiet times fishing…. Lots to think about
Then the stranger calls calls to him – they have the big catch
He comes running- swimming 100 yards
How fast would you run to receive forgiveness?
He wanted his life to be about more than the denials
And now he has a new chance

The resurrection is about second chances
Hope in the face of brokenness

Find, love, forgive, send
Everyone needs to be found
Everyone needs to be loved
Not everyone knows it, but everyone needs to be forgiven
  When someone is stuck on their sin, they are stuck on themselves
  When someone is forgiven they get off of themselves, & back on mission
Then the can be sent

Someone was expecting you to throw them away and you gave them grace
Someone was disappointed in their past and u showed them a new future.
What god has done for us
We have the power to do for others
Find them.  Love them.  Forgive them.  Send them.


Raytown video

No comments: