Monday, May 13, 2013



Sermon 4-28-13 inquiring minds week 3

The spiritual nature of the Nicaragua mission
Someone wrote- I cant support this if we are making a material impact only.  How will this have a spiritual impact?  There was no spiritual content on Sunday.  Why be in this line of work if not to proclaim the truth of Christ?

I guess the person wants us to go to Nicaragua and preach to them.

These people are already Christians.  They have churches.
Catholic and Assemblies of God. And random protestant
The y have pictures of Jesus on their walls.
They pledge to pay back their loans before god and everyone.
They talk about God.
They are conscious of their faith in ways that we are not.

Will we preach to them?  we will probably do a vbs.  We will discuss faith.  We will have a relationship as with other Christian people.s
We probably have spiritual things to learn from them

John Wesley- preach the gospel, when necessary, use words

Good Samaritan- does not preach to him, he binds his wounds.  Those that wanted to preach passed by on the other side.  In fact, the person that helps is of an off breed denomination.

1 jn 3:17 if you have the world’s goods and see your brother in need, and hold back your heart of mercy, how doe sthe love of God dwell in you?

Mt 25- I was hungry and you fed me.

Salvation
asked " So how does a person know they are saved? I prayed and asked Jesus to be Lord of my life---but why don't I feel different" Why do some people celebrate and cling to a "date they were saved" vs " a process of growing in your Christianity as a slow and steady process always ongoing" ? How do you know you are saved??

John 3:16 God so loved the world, that he sent his only begotten son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

It’s a good beginning, but we need to continue the process
We feel this way because we made a transaction, then we sit

Bible
Dinosaurs mentioned?  Why not

Prayer
I was also interested in how intercessory prayer works?  What does the Bible say about it, is there research that backs it up?  

James 4:4 What causes fights and quarrels(A) among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle(B) within you? 2 You desire but do not have, so you kill.(C) You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God. 3 When you ask, you do not receive,(D) because you ask with wrong motives,(E) that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.

We should pray for others, but there is no formula.
It doesn’t work.  It is not a way to get something from God.
It is about being in relationship

If I pray out loud, can the devil hear that and use it against me?
Some Christians have created a theology that actually glorifies Satan. They assume that Satan is the opposite of God. He is not, nor is he the opposite of Jesus. He is the spiritual counterpart of Michael and Gabriel. If you have a theology that the devil is at your house, tempting you daily, then you should also have a theology that Michael and Gabriel are personally protecting you every day. Stop living a life of fear. In Philippians Paul  says that you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you. Will your life be dominated by the fear of evil or by the Holy Spirit that lives within you?

New new cannon.  Article in KC Star recently
The Secret Revelation of John (c. 110-175 A.D.)
Texts included in “A New New Testament” are the Gospel of Thomas, the Gospel of Mary Magdalene, the Acts of Paul and Thecla and others, along with pieces of poetry and prayers. 

Defending the faith
In our world of political correctness, morals and ethics are rarely upheld or discussed.  We ask the question what would Jesus do, but may not stand for the behaviors He seeks--- How can we be better spokespeople and stand for His word as His church?  I understand we mustn't judge but rather teach.  I'd appreciate your input.
-      The Christian faith does not need to be defended.  It needs to be lived
-      Earn the right to talk to people
-      Show his love by how you live

Evidence for God
EVIDENCE…   It is spring and there is evidence all around us in creation!      And… there was evidence in the tomb! (the linens left behind!).      And in a recent Bible study, (Soup and Scripture) it was mentioned several times of  how he gives evidence in/of the mundane  ordinary things of our lives…even today!  

What about the platapus?
Fish on the discovery channel………..

Pharisees
All these years I had tried to live by the old testament rules and the new testament rules, but if one accepts Christ and loves, there is no need to try and follow those older rules.   In fact, those that don't realize this often quote those old rules to put others in their place, when what we should be doing is loving one another and allowing God to judge as he sees fit

Pharisees
I run into a lot of people that are very "my way or the highway" Christains and I don't know how to converse about my faith with these people who think I am going hell.  Why do so many Christians sound like pharisees

It is easier to follow a list of rules than to live a life of love.
Everyone wants to feel like they are ok.  find your okness via love

Evil
As I sit here watching the tragedy unfold in Boston, I wonder if this evil that seems to happen in every part of our world daily is a sign from God of some sort. What is your opinion and is there any place in the Bible which would comfort those of us who want and pray for peace for our world?

Psalm 23

The Harbinger book:  How do you feel about Jonathan Cain's interpretation of the 9 harbingers? Not being a Bible student I'm not sure how I feel about the idea that God is sending America a prophetic message of America's future.
The Harbinger is a 2012 best-selling Christian novel by Rabbi Jonathan Cahn, a Messianic Jew. It suggests that the 9/11 terrorism attack was a divine warning to the United States.[1][2][3] Cahn ties the 9/11 attacks to Isaiah 9:10, which reads: "The bricks are fallen down, but we will build with hewn stones: the sycomores are cut down, but we will change them into cedars" (King James Version).
This strikes at the notion that America is God’s chosen land.
Ps 47 8 God reigns(O) over the nations;
God is seated on his holy throne.(
P)
9 The nobles of the nations assemble
as the people of the God of Abraham,
for the kings[
c] of the earth belong to God;(Q)
he is greatly exalted.(
R)

I have been hurt by others in Bible studies who do not respect my opinion. When reading and interpreting the Bible, do I accept what the majority believe or do I trust my own opinion?

There is a blessing in the wisdom of others...

tradition holds the opinion of my parents, Wesley and Luther. Consider their thoughts.

the problem is that others hurt you.
Why do I find revelation so terrifying?
Because people have used it to scare you - isn't that sad?
Revelations
What does the scripture say about Christians and the Great Tribulation?  Will Christians be raptured out or have to endure?  Do the scriptures follow a pre-millennial, Amillennial, or post-millennial teaching?

How do we understand it today?
I do not personally agree with the dominant view of the 2nd coming taught by some, believed by others in America.

The magical notion of lining up a few scriptures and taking the book of revelation for our own interest is a relatively new phenomenon

How do we understand it today?
it is first of all A letter to the people in 90AD
Primarily a reminder to them and to all that would follow him, that Jesus will be victorious.

There is not secret code to be deciphered in Revelation or in the Bible. This gospel message is simple and clear.

1Corinthians 2
1When I cam to you, brother, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. 2For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ was crucified. 3I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. 4My message and my preaching were not with wise persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, 5so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power.

jesus will come back one day.  Of that day or hour knows no man.
So live your life about how you treat others today.
Live out your faith today, don't worry about tomorrow.
Evil World – but still a beautiful place
My question has to do with reconciling a loving personal God with what I see in God's creation. Nature is "red in tooth and claw" -- violence is everywhere, essential to survival for many species (most?) who prey, pursue, and kill other animals to survive. I have not figured out a rational way to reconcile to a creation that depends on violence and killing for survival with a loving God active in the world. I can see it if God is a "clockmaker" who started everything running and then nature just developed this way. Or I can see if nature reflects some aspect of God that doesn't fit my definition of loving.

Demello story

Nature is both beautiful and painful
Wake to the wonder of God

Mystery of God
I struggle with this from time to time................I don't think I'm the only one that does, either.  My historic sense of self says there was a man named Jesus who claimed to be the son of God, performed miracles, was crucified and rose from the dead.  It's documented and I believe it; however, my scientific sense asks about God.  We are but small insignificant specks on a very small planet in a huge universe. 
At any given time thousands of people pray to God and He hears -- How? 
Through the years various Bible studies have expressed that when we pray the Holy Spirit groans for us and God hears.  If that's so, how does He make sense of all the groaning?  I think part of my problem is that I envision God as a giant of a man (way out in space somewhere).  I read a book once that said we are like the fibers of God's tunic, all interwoven and connected to Him.  That was a pretty good picture for me to focus on.  Truthfully when I try to make sense of it, I have to admit I don't understand it all and then soothe myself by stating that I am a mortal and I'm not supposed to understand it all.  Sometimes I feel very "in tune" while other times I feel very adrift.  Just because I think I'm following God's will for me, doesn't always mean I am.  I've misread so many signs and nudges throughout my lifetime, and it makes me sad. 
How can some people have such strong convictions about God all the time?
   I wish I could quit questioning and just go with it, but I can't. 
Should I have myself committed? :-)
JOB 39 “Do you know when the mountain goats(A) give birth?
Do you watch when the doe bears her fawn?(B)
5 “Who let the wild donkey(
D) go free?
Who untied its ropes?
6 I gave it the wasteland(
E) as its home,
the salt flats(
F) as its habitat.(G)
7 It laughs(
H) at the commotion in the town;
it does not hear a driver’s shout.(
I)
9 “Will the wild ox(
K) consent to serve you?(L)Will it stay by your manger(M) at night?
19 “Do you give the horse its strength(U)or clothe its neck with a flowing mane?
20 Do you make it leap like a locust,(
V)striking terror(W) with its proud snorting?(X)
26 “Does the hawk take flight by your wisdomand spread its wings toward the south?(
AG)
27 Does the eagle soar at your commandand build its nest on high?(
AH)
The joyful mystery of trusting in God

Miracles today
Why are there no, "modern", examples of miracles?  Think of the miracles throughout the bible, but nothing like them in recent history.  Burning bushes that don't burn, parting seas, rivers turned to blood, etc.  Certainly we can reference space travel, disease treatment and many other technological advances.  But they don't carry the same sense of a miracle as are documented in the Bible.  Wouldn't it be easier for some to believe, if someone was raised from the dead or immediately healed from a horrible disease?

Miracles identified Jesus.  Miracles identified the apostles.
I still believe that they happen, but we don’t control them

what is my purpose
Hi Jeff - Here is another one for you to ponder. Rick Warren wrote the book "The purpose driven life"  Psalm 138:8 says "The lord will fulfill his purpose for me", Jeremiah 29:11 speaks of God's plans for us.  I survived a life threatening accident 30 years ago and from that moment on I asked myself why did God spare me and what is his purpose for me?  How do we know what is God's purpose for us???

Love the lord your God with all your heart soul mind and strength, love your neighbor as yourself.

Favorite Passages
23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

No comments: