Monday, June 21, 2010

A Christmas Carol - Isaiah 9:6-7 December 13, 2009

A Christmas Carol - Isaiah 9:6-7 December 13, 2009

6For to us a child is born, to us a son is giver, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called wonderful Counselor, Might God. Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 7of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. the zeal of the LORD Almighty will accomplish this.

Imagine a wonderful government

Charles Dickens wrote the Christmas Carol in 1843
Charles Dickens goes into a bar and orders a martini....olive or twist?

Beloved story
Among the most truly Christian of movies
1951 - starring Alistar sin - dad's favorite - edited for faith

I make no apology for learning so heavily upon his movie...for he message today...

Quoting scripture - what are the scriptural points that Dickens wants to make?
Inviting people to overcome human nature/sin and live the lives for which we were created

You know the story
Ebenezer Scrooge is a bad guy


Christmas is a humbug - my life is about me
Collecting more and more to himself
His heart is not open to those around him
He does not share his time, money or joy with others
He has no joy
Christmas is a poor excuse for picking a man's pocket

Let the poor and infirmed die and so decrease the surplus population

This is human nature at its worst.
Taking for ones self
Doing the minimum - he supported prisons for debtors

God look upon such a world and wants to send a savior

He is visited by 2-4 spirits
Jacob Marley - Christmas Past - Christmas present - The spirit of things to come

Visit of Marley
Jacob Marley: In life, my spirit never rose beyond the limits of our money changing!Now I am doomed to wander without rest or peace, incessant torture and remorse!

Ebenezer: But it was only that you were a good man of business, Jacob!
Jacob Marley: BUSINESS? Mankind was my business! Their common welfare was my business! And it is at this time of the year that I suffer most!

Goes to window, sees spirit figures around homeless person...
Ebenezer: Why so they lament?
Jacob Marley: They seek to interfere for good in human matters, and have lost their power to do so forever.


So the visits of 3 spirits begins
spirit of Christmas past...

He learns that he used to be a better man.

As your business prospered Ebenezer Scrooge
A golden idol took possession of your heart

Scrooge on door
when life becomes about our stuff we begin to miss what is really important.

Spirit of Christmas Present
Mortal! We spirits of Christmas do not live only one day of our your. We live the whole three-hundred and sixty five. So is it true of the Child Born in Bethlehem. He does not live in men's hearts one day of the year, but in all days of the year. You have chosen not to seek Him in your heart.
So you will come with me to seek him in the hearts of men of good will.


Visits the happy poor, his nephew, his former fiance.

nephew quote...who suffer worse than him for his attitude?
When we are me centered we are unhappy
It's the take it and lose it, lose it and find it.

then he visits former fiance
1 Corinthians 13 - Alice serving in the poor house
If I have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I an nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but hove not love, I gain nothing

you cut yourself off from fellow beings

You must learn this lesson
Who are these children, are they yours?
This boy is ignorance this girl is want
They are man's They cling to the Spirit of Christmas for protection of their fetters
Beware of them both, by beware of this boy


Want is bad enough - ignoring want
Want needs of others is worse

Spirit yet yo come
Tim dies...we have a short time on this earthy
they comfort themselves by reading - Psalm 91

1He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty 2I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust. 3Surely he will save you from the Fowler's snare and from the pestilence. 5You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day, 7A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand but it will not come near you to guard you in all your ways;

They pawn his stuff
I thought that he was never going to die....so did he

finally Scrooge is leaning on a grave stone

I am not the man that I was
I do repent - I will change
I am not the man that I was

Resolution
Wakes up - What day is it
Christmas day - I haven't missed it
Dancing - giddy

Give his house keeper a raise - 2 shillings raise to ten

Sends a turkey to the Cratchetts

Goes to nephew previously scorned now goes to bring good cheer
Looks upon his Nephew's wife
Can you forgive a pigheaded old fool who has not had eyes to see or ears to hear all these years

They dance
I don't deserve to be so happy---But I just can't help it

He became as good friend, master, man as any city ever knew.
It was always said of him, that he knew how to keep Christmas well, if any man alive possessed the knowledge. May that be truly said of us, and all of us! And so, as Tiny Tim observed, "God Bless Us, Every One!

And so a child is born, a son is given

There is a gift of a son - Does anyone here have a son?
The radical unbelievable nature of this gift
Gods acts in amazing generosity
Giving us an amazing gift

God is one fail swoop has saved all those who will hear the message
How happy that must make him

In acting with radical generosity he also gives us an example that we can follow the joy of a generous life - I see it around here.
Generosity 3/4 of the kids in the pageant were not even born when this building was opened. And 300 children adopted and 52 grandparents

We all have choices to make
Are we takers or givers - Consumers or distributors

Is it about me or does God want to use me to be a part of a group that changes the world.
Jesus changes people from the inside out
God's expression of love changes us and we become a part of a movement that is caring about others

Quote of Christmas Present
Mortal! We Spirits of Christmas do not live the whole three-hundred and sixty-five. So is it true of the Child born in Bethlehem. He does not live in men's hearts one day of the year, but in all days of the year.

Each day that God gives us, we have a chance
Open the window...what day is it?
for the Christian, every day is a day of celebration
Every day is a day of thanksgiving, a day of joy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

初次拜訪,踩踩您的格子,跟您拜個碼頭囉~~.................................................................