Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Sermon 11-14-10 2 cor 7:5-10 thankful for salvation

5 For when we came into Macedonia, we had no rest, but we were harassed at every turn—conflicts on the outside, fears within. 6 But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus, 7 and not only by his coming but also by the comfort you had given him. He told us about your longing for me, your deep sorrow, your ardent concern for me, so that my joy was greater than ever.
8 Even if I caused you sorrow by my letter, I do not regret it. Though I did regret it—I see that my letter hurt you, but only for a little while— 9 yet now I am happy, not because you were made sorry, but because your sorrow led you to repentance. For you became sorrowful as God intended and so were not harmed in any way by us. 10 Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.

We are in a 3 week series on giving thanks
Today, I am thankful for salvation – the process by which God works in our lives

The Corinthians are beset by a sin which Paul has been dealing with them about. His letter to them caused them to make some choices.

They saw their situation for what it was. They compared where they were to where God wanted them to be.
They have a choice, they sensed a sorrow. Godly sorrow. That brings repentance. Which leads to salvation.

This is the process-
Where are you? Where is God? Is God calling you to some changes? Are you open to them? Do you sense the sorrow of being stuck where you are? Can you repent. It will lead to salvation.

Salvation is not so much a point of arrival but a way of traveling in this life
Zachaeus – salvation has come to this house – not an end, but a beginning

Pictures of salvation

I am a C
I am a Christian
I am a child
My parents tell me that I am a christian
Gods love is only received by me, not delivered
Everything is measured by how it effects me

I am in the church
I was confirmed
I am in church and Sunday school
I belong here
I recognize this as part of my identitiy
I defend the church
I love the church. The church loves me
God loves me.
I love god but I am not sure how to live that out

I am personally choosing
Good and bad
Understanding for myself
Sense the forgiveness of my sin
The teaching of my youth has come alive
Joy. Arrival. Understanding
Bad part
Punching a ticket
Arrogance
Some are able to fight that off

There is a real danger here
We get stuck
We get fixated
Many sit on the beach and watch. Few enter the surf.
Many sit by the pool and watch. Few enter the water

It takes a brave person to be willing to be challenged.
Most settle for safety

After thirty years of watching television every night, a husband said to his wife, lets do something really exciting tonight. Instantly she conjured up visions of a night out on the town. Great she sad, what shall we do? Well, he said, lets trade chairs.

A mouse was in constant fear of the cat. God took pity on the mouse and turned it into a cat. Then it became consumed with fear of the dog. So God made it into a dog. The dog lived in constant fear of the local bobcat. God made the dog into a bobcat. The bobcat lived in fear of the hunter. Exasperated, God gave up and turned it back into a mouse again. “nothing I do for u is going to be of any help because yo have the heart of a mouse.”

How would I describe my life today?
I am one who has received God’s grace
Trying to live it out
We show god’s love by serving
I no longer want to see people as either in or out

In salvation, there is the work of the cross for us.
It’s personal, its finished
There is also the work of the cross in us
In our hearts, our souls, our minds
That involves everyone
If it is not good news for everyone, then it is not good news.

Salvation at its worst is a self centered spirituality

Salvation asks me more than what I believe about God
It asks me what I believe about others
It asks me what I believe a bout possessions

What does it say about me and God if I have strong belief in him, but treat others poorly
What does is say about me and God if I have strong belief in him but continue to worship stuff.

What is the future of faith?
We think it is stagnant – it is not
God is bigger than the church
I thought I knew it all
Maybe there is more
I am listening

Ultimately, the Christian faith is not about an attachment to a church, a doctrine, or a way of being religious. It is an attachment to a person, Jesus Christ. All good relationships grow and mature over time

Where are you in this continuum?
Maybe you are here today and it is time to make a personal decision
Maybe you are here and it is time to move past personal decision to become a servant of Christ

I am thankful for salvation
I am thankful for the journey
Lets pray

2 Corinthians 3:18
But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord. KJV

No comments: