Thursday, June 10, 2010

All Saints Day Mark 12:28 Nov. 1, 2009

All Saints Day Mark 12:28 Nov. 1, 2009

Today is all saints day

Where did all saints day come from?
Honoring the saints of all time.
Honoring those who have died that we knew and loved
Goes back solidly 1200+ years

Explain the series
Star dates:
10,000 bc
one million years bc www.10000bcmovie.com

why go back 10,000 years - Honoring those who looked up at the sky and honored God
Abraham was not counted for righteousness because he believed in Jesus or because he went to the temple, no Bible, no doctrine, no priests, only the heart of a man seeking after the god who reveals himself in all of creation.

I find to be an amazing picture.. yes the scriptures and the church needful, but it all begins with the heart of a man seeking after God.

Medieval saints, Augustine, Aquinas, St Ignatius, St. Francis, John Wesley, whomever is on your list.

Some feel that the veneration of saints begins to lean towards polytheism

I think we can appreciate the contributions of those who have gone before us that we never knew without worshiping them...
St. Francis...I can love his statue and love his prayer and not get hung up on the rest of it
Prayers of Ignatius of Loyola

Let us give thanks for their lives

Honoring those loved ones whom we have known that have died in our life

My mom, my dad - I miss my Dad. There are so many questions that I want to ask him.
just as we are getting things figured out, he was gone.
He never got to mentor me thru my late 40's or 50's
I miss him

If you have loved ones that you are not sure about their salvation...
don't be too hard on those that you don't think fit the bill.
A vision
I was asking God about someone and I received a bit of paranormal experience, a vision that told me that they were in heaven
Laugh if you like, but I am just saying, don't go so hard on those folks

Give thanks to God for their lives

wondering who the saints are around us
Write down a name or two on you bulletin
Who is an example of the Christian faith...
Tear it off, give it to me....

Asking the question, can I be one?
worried that we will not measure us
I am suggesting to you today that we have made Christianity too hard - too complicated
  • You must know all of this
  • You must believe all of this
  • You must do and not do the following...
  • The result is a guilt laden, confused, group of people
  • that we cannot carry the load
  • so we so not try
Jesus made it very simple...only two things...
Love the Lord
Love your neighbor

Points to this story....

Of the Prodigal Son after he goes off and lives tumultuously and wastefully
There is a wonderful phrase - The line days, "And then he came to himself."
It wasn't something strange or bizarre or coming into some new experience. It was like coming home in the deepest kind of way. You come not to something foreign or some new discovery or special knowledge, but you come to yourself. Jesus made it very simple. Once we strip away all of the human rules and just get down to what we are supposed to do and be.

There is a wonderful phrase - the line says, "And then he came to himself."

it wasn't something strange or bizarre or coming into some new experience. It was like coming home in the deepest kind of way. You come not to something foreign or some new discovery or special knowledge, but you come to yourself.

Jesus made it very simple...only two things...
Love the Lord
Love your neighbor

You see, I think it is possible. Once we strip away all of the human rules and just get down to what we are suppose to do and be.

What is your purpose that in your life there would be only 2 rules...love God, love your neighbor

I think in 20,40 or 100 years, we will be on someones list

Love God, Love your brother and sister. Measure everything by that. and give thanks that Jesus made it this simple.

No comments: