Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sacraments 2 - Baptism 8-16-09 1 Corinthians 1:10-17

Sacraments 2 - Baptism 8-16-09 1 Corinthians 1:10-17

10I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought, 11My brothers, some from Chloe's household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12What I mean is this: One of you says, "I follow Paul"; another, "I follow Apollos"; another, "I follow Cephas"; still another, "I follow Christ."

13Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul? 14I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15so no one can say that you were baptized into my name. (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don't remember if I baptized anyone else.) 17for Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel - not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied on its power.


2 part series - sacraments - last week Holy Communion. Today=Baptism
The history of baptism....ceremonial washings
The baptism of John - for repentance
Christian baptism - replaced circumcision as the sign of the covenant

In a sermon in March, I addressed the question
what is the 'right' way of being baptized?
- (How much water, what age?)
nuts and bolts of baptism

Methodists recognize all Christians baptism
Practice 3 historical methods; sprinkling, pouring, dunking

many scriptures regarding the symbolism of baptism
a washing, a cleansing, a rebirth, the holy spirit is coming to rest

Jesus was baptized in the Jordan river - how much water? don't know

What do we baptize children? The father made all of the decisions...
321 Constine declares Christianity the official religion of Rome.
Paul baptized the house of Stephanaus
Philippian jailer and his house

Acts 16:31 They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved - you and your household." 32Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house. 33At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his family were baptized. 34The jailer brought them into his house and set a mean before them; he was filled with joy because he had come to believe God - he and his whole family.

There are no scriptures that prohibit children from being baptized

There are no scriptures that illustrate older children children or youth being baptized, as if they waited.

When we focused on the method of baptism, we miss the sacredness and we are de-spiritualizing it.

Phyllis McGinley wrote a poem based on a conversation between two 16th-century leaders of the Protestant Reformation, Ulrich Zwingli and Thomas Muntzer, who fought one another over which method of baptism is correct. I would like to point out that both are long since dead.

said Zwingli to Muntzer, "I'll have to be blunt, sir,
I don't like your version of Total Immersion.
And since God's on my side, And I'm on the dry side
You'd better swing over to me and Jehovah."
Cried Muntzer, "It's schism, This infant baptism
Since I've had a sign sir, That God's will is mine, sir,
Let all men agree, With Jehovah and me,
Or go to hell, singly," said Muntzer to Zwingli,
And each drew his sword on the side of the Lord.


I would like to point out that both are long since dead.

Ephesians 4:5 there is One Lord, on faith, one baptism...

just what does baptism mean?
In the scripture they are having a very human fight...
not about who baptizes you - Paul, Apollos
this weekend, don't ask for a certain pastor to baptize you...
you are baptized into Christ

emphasis on Gods action
not primarily about out faith, but about God's promise

God plays the principle role int he drama of rescue

love is delivered
grace accelerated - when the kids obey me

sign of the covenant
we are a part of the same family

what to tell a child about baptism
it is a sign that we are followers of Jesus

Release the pressure of angst over baptism and the different views
Part two - consider the principles in this world - seen and unseen

In the scripture they are fighting
Arguments over baptism vs the good news of the gospel

The wisdom of humans or the message of the cross

18So we fix eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 2 Corinthians 4

Iceberg....that is not the iceberg...that is the tip of the iceberg
Here is the ice berg

Seen and unseen

A person ...
Look at them. What do you see. Hair, eyes, nose, teeth, size, shape, age, gender.
Is this who they are? No

We ask...where do you live? What do you do for a living?
These are the questions that we ask to get to "know" someone.

Wouldn't you learn a lot more about someone if you asked...
Tell me what you love...
What are three things that you have been thinking about lately...

There is a picture that hangs in my office
Picture of pastor preaching with saints behind
There is much going on behind the scenes that we do not see

Baptism...arguing about how much water is spending all of our time with the seen portion of the iceberg.

Several have asked - should I be re-baptized?

If you believe it's about you then it will never be enough
If you believe that baptism is about God's promise, then there is not need.
God is faithful even when we are not.

There is no case in scripture even, where a person was baptized more than one time.

When we baptize over and over, we lose the sacredness of God's actions in Christian baptism, and imply that his promise must not have "stuck".

Conclusion - Let's look at Jesus' baptism
Matthew 3:13-17 13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John, 14but John tried to deter him saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?"15Jesus replied, "Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness." the John consented. 16As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him. 17and a voice from heaven said, "this is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."


What is the difference about Jesus' baptism...
He was sinless

The holy spirit came down
they heard a voice

Did this only happen once?

I suggest to you that when you were baptized...
Heaven was watching.
a voice spoke in heaven...ahh, my son, my daughter
The holy spirit came rested upon you.
they sang you up on eagles wings/guns n roses sweet child of mine

You are marked as a child of God

If you have not be baptized, I invite you to join us this weekend.
If you have been baptized, i invite you to come celebrate with others, witness their baptisms,

but I invite you today to remember your baptism
Whether you were 30-20-10 or 10 days old.

Remember the moment when in obedience to Jesus, you met the water
Hear the sound that the water makes. Hear the voice that spoke in heaven.
this is my son. this is my daughter
Remember the lighting of the holy spirit on your shoulder.
Remember and know that the same spirit has been with you, every day since the.
Remember and be thankful



No comments: