Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Sacraments 1: Communion - 8-9-09 - Luke 18:9-14

Sacraments 1: Communion 8-9-09 Luke 18:9-14

9To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable" 10"Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thnk you that I am not like other men - robbers, evildoers, adulterers - or even like this tax collector. 12I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.' 13"But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.' 14"I tell you that this man, rather than other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exhalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himslef will be exalted.


Today we begin a 2-part series on sacraments

Today communion - next week baptism - in conjunction with baptism sermon we will offer the opportunity for you to be baptized, if not done so previously.
We are also changing the frequency of communion.

A Sacrament is:
instituted by Jesus Christ
has an outward element that signifies and inward spiritual grace

Prior to reform, all Christians celebrated 7 sacranment
catholic
baptism
confirmation
marriage
last supper
ordination
confession
last rights

Most protest churches celebreate 2 - hence a 2-part sermon series

Communion begins with Jesus gathering desciples in the upper room
He asks them...do this and remember me

It hold up this story of the Pharisee and the publican because it reminds us of something we so oftern forget, we need God...

Pharisee = thought he as together
Publican or tax collector - hated. Lowest of the low = knew of his need
Jesus knew we would need him...do this and remember me

Holy communion = our chance to remember and be broken be for God
Communion reminds us that he is the bread of life
we are the needy, hungry ones
Do you feel needy? Hungry? Or do you feel smug, ambivlant, self dependent?

Who would you more be classified with...
My car, my time, my life
Boy I am glad that my life is cool and I an not liek those other people

Diamond dogs game - Dead ball
I started out toward the one running his mouth.
Jeff, you are the pastor
Sometimes we have to be reminded that there is a place for us to bend the knee

Spiritual hunger is so important...
If I try to feed you, but you are not hungry, you do not take my food
when my heard is hungry, when my heart is ready, I can ingest the food.

Psalm 42: 1As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. 2My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?

the mechanics of communion at WCC
where to put the cups
what to say-kneel, or not

what can you do wriong in communion = nothing

Our appearance - our h=neighbors - Our shoes
How long we are there for

DO I have to be worthy? [God be merciful to me a sinner]

When do give communion to children
I was raised inthe Lutheran church, 1st communion at confirmation
Other churches see is a a family thing. The meal of God, for all.
When our kids were old enough to explain what it meant, they came

What does it mean that something is a sacrament?
Sacrament is a channel of divine grace - A mystery

The Wesley's wrote a collection of 166 hymns onthe Lord's Supper
Showed the multifaceted nature of the sacrament
  1. A time to joyfully give thanks to God for his blessings
  2. A time for people to gather as a community. We are one.
  3. It is a time to remember the sacrifice of Jesus and offer ourselves as a living sacrifice
  4. Holy communion reminds us that God will complete his purpose in the world. He will finish his work.
  5. Holy communion is a means of grace
    Where luke warm hearts can be warmed
    And warm hearts can be set on fire
In Holy communion we can be changed. God can reach you. If you are without him, this is a wonderful place for you to call on his name.

We get busy in life and we forget that we need him...

conclusion
on vacation I visited the holocaust museum

boy aren't you glad that we aren't like them?
artifacts - train car
hundreds of pictures of those who survived the camp signed with a message
  • I thank God for every day
  • Be kind to one another
  • Don't let this happen again
  • Every act of hatred opens the door for the next holocaust
  • How we treat one another matters
Every time we forget whose we are, we begin to get full of ourselves and the end result of that is trouble. Selfishness. Hatred. Murder.

We need to need God. - We need to mee God - this is that place

1 corinthians 11:23-25
23For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in rememberance of me." 25In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying "this cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in rememberance of me."

No comments: