Thursday, June 18, 2009

Fathers Day Galatians4:1-7 06/15/08

Fathers Day Galatians4:1-7 06/15/08
1What i am saying is that as long as the heir is a child, he is not difference from a slaves, although he owned the whole estate. 2He is subject to guardians and trustees until the time set by his father. 3So also, when we were children, we were in slavery under basic principles of the world. 4But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law, 5to redeem those under law, that we might receive the full rights of sons. 6Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father." 7So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir.

What do I want for fathers day? No tie, no shirt, no shelf for my boxing trophies...what I want for fathers day, you cannot wrap
I want two things
I want my children to love their mother,
An I want them to love one another
When you love your mother, and love one another, you honor me.
If you don't love each other, no neck tie is going to sooth the pain.
You are brothers and sisters....live that out

I think God wants the same thing for his children too.

The scripture today tells us that we are no longer slave,
we are sons, sons and daughters of God. That means we have a father.

On fathers day we usually think vertically
What does it mean to have a father

It means that someone loves me
Kneau Reaves in parenthood...you need a license to hunt, to fish, to drive a car, they will let anyone be a father...it takes someone special to be a dad

a "childless couple who wanted to adopt a little boy approximately 6 years old. They had visited several adoption agencies and finally found a child that was a match for their family. As they visited with the child, the wife said, "If you would come and live with us, you could have your own private room, a nice yard with play equipment and all the toys you could ever want. Would you like to come and live with us? "The little boy hesitated a moment and said, "No I don't think so." The couple was stunned, They felt that they had offered the child everything a child could want. The husband said to the boy, "We've offered you everything anyone could want. What more do you want?" In words far beyond his years, the child replied, "I have a nice yard and a playground here at the home. I don't need that. I just want someone to love me." Farrell, Cries From the Cross (Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1994) 36.

Don't you know that children all over the world of all ages are looking for a dad

Adoption ministry
Amazing things that they are doing...every child needs a loving home

Misty Dixon...if you are looking to care...

On fathers day, we should also think horizontally
We should look to our earthly siblings and thank God for them.
I have two sisters. We weren't always close
But we are a part of the same family
I love them and they are mine
I honor them today and give thanks for them

On fathers day we must remember that we are adopted into God's family
we have a heavenly father
ok, now I an ok. I am loved by God. It means more than that
if all of us have the same father, then we are brother and sisters in Christ.

that is why hospitality in our church is so important...every person who is waking in the door is looking to feel that the belong
do you greet them? Do you hug them? Do you take time to make a connection with them?

Sit in different places....

the most powerful thing a church can do is to show God's love
To visitors, to new Christians, to those who have a different theological background than you do, to those who hurt you in the past.

Rules for my childre
You never leave you wingman
this person will always be your brother, will alays be your sister.
stand up for them, stand with them
we are a team, we are a unit, one day you will stand at the funeral of your parents. You will need each other in such moments.
your brother and sister are God's gift to you
love one another, forgive one another

The Cundiff brothers picture
this picture embodies what I am speaking about

do they never fight, no, I'm sure they have their moments
but they have trained, worked
we are only successful in the race of life when we are successful together and so I have done what I can and now I am straining to launch you and while you run, everything inside of me is going to be rooting for you
brothers we are brothers

we are brothers and sisters
look around your church...who are these people?
this may not look like any other church you have been a part of
the worship may be a little different
that is not the point.
this may be a different house, but we are all adopted into God's family
you bave no enemies here. If you are thinking that, you are thinking wrong/
Our souls are connected in ways that you cannot even see.

Jesus' Mothers and Brothers
Matthew12:46While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stool outside, whanting to speak to him, 47someone told him, "Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.

48He replied to him, "Who is my mother, and who are my borthers?" 49Pointing to his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers. 50For whoever does the will of my father is heaven is my brother and sister and mother."



Dances with wolves

I am wind in his hair
Do you see that I am your friend?
Can you see that you will always be my friend?

Maybe you are here and you don't sense what I am talking about
That doesn't mean that it is not true
We haven't known each other for very long...
That is not the point...
You are a child of God, hw loves you deeply
You are my brother, you are my sister

Happy faters day, heavenly father. From your loving children. Amen

Pray, o Lord, let me see that we are connected. Let me see that these people are my brothers and sisters. I thank you for them.

No comments: