Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Parables of the Kingdom: Pearl, Treasure & the Rich Man, 4/3/16

Sermon 4-3-16 parables of the kingdom pearl, treasure and the rich man

Matthew 13:44-46 New International Version (NIV)  The Parables of the Hidden Treasure and the Pearl
44 “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.
45 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. 46 When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.

Luke 12:13-21 New International Version (NIV)  The Parable of the Rich Fool
13 Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.”
14 Jesus replied, “Man, who appointed me a judge or an arbiter between you?” 15 Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.”  16 And he told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. 17 He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’  18 “Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. 19 And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’  20 “But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’
21 “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.”

New series
I have been reading a lot of Richard rohr lately.  Good stuff.  Makes you think.
Some of his stuff is in here some where.

4 weeks on the parables
Today – the treasure, the pearl and the rich fool
These get right at the heart of the kingdom
What is this kingdom????????????????????????
The apostles creed and the lack of mention of the kingdom in it
We have left the kingdom thinking and made salvation a transaction, then we go on w our lives

There is nothing sweet about these parables. 
Jesus is pretty serious about this kingdom stuff
Jesus isn’t just the nice guy who carries the lamb
Jesus challenges people - he boldly confronts our arrogance

John 6:66

These parables ask..
What is really important?
What would you give up for it?
What are things in life that you have sacrificed for?

Opening day at the k.
Time for a couple of softball stories that illustrate how easy it is to get off track and forget what is important.

Gary Vaughn chainlink story
Gary glenn story.
Bud young and the 1500 pontoon boat. No 1200 no 800 pontoon boat. [move]

Self is still in the way
E. Stanley Jones
Jesus is God’s yes to me. I respond with “yes”. That is it. The beginning, the rest of my life is my yes to God’s world. 
We say yes to Jesus once, then repeatedly say no no no no

The disciples left everything to follow Jesus, except themselves.
                                                                                   
Self is concerned with position, place and power.
Un surrendered  self is always in the way.

Regarding the ego, Stanley jones said,
Wherever I go, I go too – and I spoil everything.

Are you dead to self? Dog is told to play dead, looks dead except his tail is wagging – so it is with many Christians…….. yes I've died to self, but my tail is still wagging.

We Christians like, 1 Timothy 6:10-12
 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil.
Whew that takes us off of the hook.
We can still have all of our money as long as we don’t love it.
Problem is, we do.  We do love our stuff.
We let ourselves off of the hook but don’t apply the principle.

Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
11 But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. 12 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

 Richard rohr stuff
 Why does Jesus teach us to get stuff out of the way?
We love it.  We want it.  We depend upon it
It gets in the way. 
At the feeding event…….. video…….. I have come to believe that having too much is just as bad as not having enough.

It is hard to live a life of great compassion when your life is busy taking care of all of your stuff
When dad died, oh we had the stuff
Retired minister moves to patio home
 Stuff is a diversion

We never begin to experience true conversion until we die to our love for stuff

Yes Jesus died for my sin on the cross, but he also showed us on the cross how to live.
Emptying yourself and making yourself available to others

The path to salvation is marked by more than a sinner’s prayer.
You can say a few words and keep your life, keep your pearls
The path to salvation is also marked by release of desires and worry.  It is marked by walking away from the love of earthly things.  Only then can we be healed by god and be used by god to heal others

How to find happiness in this life
Get rid of selfish attitudes
          I want what I want when I want it
          If you don’t play w me, I am going home
          If it is not my way, then I am going to quit
We are imposing conditions on our happiness
If you find this attitude within yourself, get rid of it
Sell it to find what really matters
Lose your life to find it.

The man w three wishes
          I want my wife to die
          I want my wife back
          I don’t know what to ask for….money? health? Immortality? Love?
God says, ask to be happy no matter what
Find your treasure not in things, not in circumstances, but in God

And so it is our 40 year anniversary.
Why have we grown?
1.    Good worship and programs
2.   You invited your friends
3.   We removed barriers to growth.  In other words, we set aside our comfort and personal preference to reach others.  We killed our sacred cows and reorganized to pursue the mission.

This is unusual, and I praise you for it.  To have a heart that says I will give up my preference, I will sell it all for the kingdom, this is what jesus was asking his followers to do.

Thank you for -
Seek ye first the kingdom of God


No comments: