Tuesday, October 12, 2010

rethink – getting connected 1 Samuel 8:1-5 09/12/10

Sermon 9-12-2010 1 samuel 18:1-5 rethink – getting connected

1 After David had finished talking with Saul, Jonathan became one in spirit with David, and he loved him as himself. 2 From that day Saul kept David with him and did not let him return to his father's house. 3 And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. 4 Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt.
5 Whatever Saul sent him to do, David did it so successfully [a] that Saul gave him a high rank in the army. This pleased all the people, and Saul's officers as well

rethink series
rethink your involvement – getting connected

to what degree are you connected? Involved? Do you wander thru so that you can say this is your church, or are you significantly invested in the success of this place?

This is an impt topic because too many just come and sit. Too many come when it is convenient. Too many engage in God’s work as it suits them
We are missing something really important…….

connecting Sunday - connected
I want to be connected to good people
And I want to be doing things that are significant

Good People
David and jonathan- randomly find each other
Face life’s battles together

the king james says that their souls were knit together
meaningful relationship, doing things that matter

The importance of friendship
Joy, completion, we need each other
We ignore this to our peril

Dad- you have a bug about relationships
Yes Dad, people want to be connected……but it is difficult in this world

We have all of these ways to be connected, phone, fax, pager, computer, laptop,
Mac in 1992 held 256 ram I updated it to 512 cost 100$
Today this jump drive you can but at walmart hold 8x that and it costs 999

Yet we are more alone than ever

The pain of being alone
Summer of 1978- summer school at evangel

Alone again, naturally

To think that only yesterday I was cheerful, bright and gay
Looking forward to well wouldn’t do The role I was about to play
But as if to knock me down Reality came around
And without so much, as a mere touch Cut me into little pieces
Leaving me to doubt Talk about God and His mercy
Or if He really does exist Why did He desert me in my hour of need
I truly am indeed Alone again, naturally


It seems to me that there are more hearts
broken in the world that cant be mended - Left unattended
What do we do? What do we do?


The psalmist writes - Psalm 102
1 Hear my prayer, O LORD; let my cry for help come to you. 2 Do not hide your face from me when I am in distress. Turn your ear to me; when I call, answer me quickly. 3 For my days vanish like smoke; my bones burn like glowing embers. 4 My heart is blighted and withered like grass; I forget to eat my food. 5 Because of my loud groaning I am reduced to skin and bones. 6 I am like a desert owl, like an owl among the ruins. 7 I lie awake; I have become like a bird alone on a roof.

In the past families grew up together and rarely moved away. Children lived in homes with parents and grandparents. The family business was handed down from generation to generation. My grandma had a front porch which was a very important place of communication.

Half of my neighbors, I don’t know their names. A few I wouldn’t recognize if they walked right up and said hello

How can we cultivate friendships
Cant just sit and wait - You cant just sit in the pew
Applying ones self to friendship

If a man would have friends, he must show himself to be friendly.
Prov 18:24

Is this a friendly church?
Someone visited here 2 months ago
My visit to st peter umc several years ago

Look around. Who do you want for a friend? Reach out to them. If they cant make it work, pick someone else.

From I want to be connected to people
to Being involved in significant things


There are only so many institutions in this life that you can get involved in
You will have to choose which ones they are
Some want to lean away while we are in a building campaign
Would you rather attend a church that was not trying to make room for others

At church I learned that God loved me-nothing else out there will teach you that
At church I learned about forgiveness-nothing else out there will teach you that
At church I learned that it was about more than me. I was invited to join others in an effort that taught me to give myself away- nothing else will teach you these things

Conclusion-
Children and youth
Providing the foundation for tomorrows decisions
Disciple
Providing the foundation to carry you thru life trials
Fpu
Teaching biblical financial practices
It has saved many a marriage
Missions
Giving you an opportunity to live beyond yourself


stop by and find a place to make friends and get connected. Take the steps to connections for life.

No comments: