Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Why Am I Here Ephesians 4:7, 11-13 05/02/10

Why Am I Here Ephesians 4:7, 11-13 05/02/10

7But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it.
11It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

14then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cumming craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. 15Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. 16From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.


Why are you here?
I want my kids to get something.
I want to get filled up - I want to have a full heart
I feel guilty if I miss
My wife makes me to to church
Is there anyone who came here to be prepared for works of service so that the body of Christ may be built up?

Imagine the advertisement - come to WCC to be trained to serve the world - maybe it doesn't sound that bad -
*come learn to give yourself away
*Come find something that will change your life
*come learn how to make a difference in the world.

Mature or immature church - painful thought
I want to get filled - imagine if that is what everyone thought
Imagine the atmosphere
Vs
We love you God, we praise you God, we give ourselves to you.
How can we be a part of who you are and what you are doing

Everyone now and then we need to ask ourselves, What is our mission?

to get filled? [tho that is important]
No, it is connecting people to Jesus Christ.
When we are engaged with others...we do get filled. Our hearts are full
Every now and then we have to ask,
Am I focused on being filled or filling others
Both are important...people find that when they are reaching out to others, they themselves are filled.

Recently I was at a restaurant when a bunch of ner do wells skipped out on an $80 tab. Our tip off to this was that a couple of servers went outside and then came back in and one of them was crying. She was mortified. She would have to cover the tab herself. Nice kid, crushed by unfairness. Several tables asked what happened. When they found out, people from all over teh restaurant kicked in to cover the cost and help the server who would have had to pay for it.

They could have sat there and said...hey, back to work, feed em. But instead something inside of them forgot about their need and reached out to the server. Their food may have been late and their service slow because of the incident, but they went home filled because they got to help the person out.


When you go to the restaurant, are you thinking about what you will get from the server or do you see your visit as a chance to share love with one another and care about the server?

Jesus said, I did not come to be served, but to serve and give myself as a ransom for many. Mark 10:45

Membership - Church vs Costco

Water buffaloes - card, hat, secret handshake
AARP - monthly magazine, discounts at hotels and restaurants
Church is not so. Join, give time talent and treasure to reach others

Our mission is done by all
Not just the pastor? Just the staff?
Starfish and the spider

Leaders are not just in charge of something
They help people to become engaged and connected with the mission

Getting yourself out of the way
Pastor centered world - churches stay small few are reached

Changes that I have had to face over the years - Due to church size
Pain of my role changing

I once knew where you lived, your kids names, your dogs name
I once was able to visit everyone in the hospital
Allowing others to visit you are the hospital

when it's about you, when it's about mission
bill Carpenter says that God never calls yo to the things that you find comfortable.

What did Jesus do?
did the disciples expect Jesus to do all the ministry? Yes.

but what did Jesus expect? He was leaving. He showed them, taught them, and got out of the way.

Acts - Deacons and orphans
And so we are teaching our staff to mentor and deploy others

Bill Hybels - I will give you wings, I'll watch you, I'll nurture you, I'll coach you, and I'll expand opportunities. I will make sure that your life is filled to the Zenith of your potential.

We are all faced with painful choices
We grew up thinking my life was about me
As Christians we are invited, not simply to serve, reach out and care
but to create a life view that puts God's purpose at the center.

Caring for you and inspiring you is important by the most important thing a pastor can do is to identify mentor and deploy others to ministry

We are invited to join Jesus in the mission field
What is your calling?
The most exciting part of being a Christian is being in ministry

The church is not the church when it simply gathers to sit and listen to the sermon.
A person coaches a basketball team.
They work together.
No one wants to sit the bench.
Everyone wants to get out on the floor

conclusion

I am not asking you to stop what you are doing and start doing church things
Colossians 3:17
And Whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him


The sacred and the secular
What do you do that has nothing to do with the church?
Coach little league? Watch? PTA? Grocery store?
Everything is spiritual.
God help me be a good coach
God help me be a good shopper.

A few weeks ago - Someone is in need - who will go?

The girl who fell, Paul McClain

There are people everywhere waiting for you to be there for them.
I invite you to find your place int he mission and ministry of Christ.

No comments: