Thursday, January 14, 2010

Prayer Part 2 - Listening 09/13/09 Isaiah 55:1-3

Prayer Part 2 - Listening 09/13/09 Isaiah 55:1-3

1Come, all you thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come , buy and eat!
Come, buywine and milk without money and without cost.
2Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.
3Give ear and come to me; hear me, that your soul may live.
I will make an everlasting covenant with you, my faithful love promised to David


Sermon series on prayer-
  • Everyone does it, or wants to
  • Last week, understanding that God is here, not far away
  • This week listening
it seems off to listen...we are so used to talking prayer
We are missing some of the best parts of life because we are not listening
We are on auto pilot, self directed life
We want the good stuff, but we are seeking it in all the wrong places
This is the message of Isaiah 55 - listen

Demello story - A great king went to visit a great spiritual leader.
I am a busy man could you tell me how I can reach union with God.
But answer me in a single sentence.
the master said, I will give you a single word-
What is the word. The master said, listen.
How can i lean to listen said the king.
Meditation, said the master.
And what is meditation, said the king
listening said the master

How can we learn to listen
You can't hear me if you are talking

Show the video


If we stopped talking, wouldn't that change our prayer life

Story - You are talking when you ought to be listening

You can't hear me if you are talking to others
If your brain is busy with worry about life, consumed with thought

the two monks carry the heavy women across the river
One complains. The other says, I put her down back there.
We can never be about what we ought to be about when we are stuck in something back there.

God, why did I not get that promotion?

Sometimes we don't listen cause were afraid that we'll hear things that we do not like
Spend more time with me
Don't spend your money like that
Work on your attitude
Forgive that person
Trust me
Take up your cross
Go to Africa...

Thinking about hearing the voice of God is frightening
Terrible things have been said in the name of the Lord
Fred Phelps church
Here is this car that the Lord gave me
God told me to marry you
all sorts of this that we try to justify by spiritualizing them

Successful, whole, healthy prayer involves listening
4 stages of prayer - anthony Demello

I talk, God listens
God talks I listen
Neither talk. both listen
Neither talk, neither listen, silence

Satge 4
sitting with someone who has lost a loved on.
Being with someone that you love
Prayer is like being on a date with God

John 10 My sheep follow me because they know my voice

How do we learn to listen?
Spend time with the shepherd

Cultivate the relationship

Passion for self knowledge
Not simply to know the principles of the Christian faith
But to come to know and live out the heart of Christ
If you aren't hearing something from time to time that challenges you to be a better persin, a more faithful Christian, you are not listening

Cultivating your hearing
Read scripture, meditation scripture. Not simply to know more.
We use scripture to find the mystery of God.
We use scripture to experience God
Listen to the advise of people of spirit
Listen to the spirit within

How can we learn in prayer? Ask God questions
Who can i care about today?
What should I do with that bonus check?
What should I have my family be involved in?

And so are you thirsty, come to the waters
Give ear and hear the Lord, that your soul may live

Go back to Isaiah 55
1Come, all you thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come , buy and eat!
Come, buywine and milk without money and without cost.
2Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.
3Give ear and come to me; hear me, that your soul may live.
I will make an everlasting covenant with you, my faithful love promised to David

No comments: