Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Today's Catch John 21:1-7 April 10, 1994

Today's Catch John 21:1-7 April 10, 1994

I always hated this scripture...

used by preachers to raise money for their ministries
give me $10, God will give you $1000
Today I want to try another spin on it

Peter's expectations were shattered
His image of himself was destroyed
He was pretty low...
The disciples went back to their trades
giving up on God's purpose

Why is it that some people give up and some people don't
I don't know
some folks just seem to obtain a tenacity...you can see it in their eyes
like Clint Eastwood eyes

Disciples didn't have it
Fished all night
got to make a living...catch up on the last three years...
hard work in the flesh will profit nothing
laying up the wrong kind of treasure

someone says: "throw the new out on the right side of the boat"
did not recognize it was Jesus
yea right...we've fished out here all night
I'm having deja vu [hearken back to Luke 5]...>>>fished all night, fish on the other side, great catch

It is the Lord

when God is present...great things can happen
Peter jumped into the water [to beat the fish laden boat to shore]
Arrives on shore...Daja va
Like 5:4-7......................>>>>>>Jesus calls Peter:Depart me, I'm a sinful man from now on, you will catch men, call is reinstated, feed my sheep, follow me

Good news in this story:
a net breaking, boat sinking load
good news is that Peter was restored in relationship

Consider your commitments
you may think you are toast.....history
but God knows the end from the beginning
he sees our lives all the way through
consider your commitments
they are not always easy to keep
but don't go back to your trades so fast
God is not finished with you yet

No comments: