Monday, May 25, 2009

Give Thanks Part 1 11-2-08 Genesis 13:1-18

Give Thanks, Part 1 Genesis 13:1-18 11-1-08

Intro
30 days has September, April, June and November
join me in 30 days of giving thanks

Series - Give Thanks - Part 5
For the past

All saints day
Memorial day for the church - time to give thanks for thoses who have made a difference in your life

We don't alwaysthink of our past as something to give thanks for
But there is much to give thanks for, if yu look closely

So I am drawn to the story of Abraham and Lot
Abraham was a partriarch. Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob
Lot was Abraham's nephew

Lot is special...Abraham saw something good in him
He mentioned
His herds grow
He is allowed first choice of the land
Let there be no quarreling between us
He is saved
From being carried off in battle - Melchizadeck
From the destruction of Sodom - Abraham prays him through
Abraham saw something good in him

At some point Lot looked back on his life

Thankful for Abraham
Allowed him to be oung and foolish
Rescued him from an Army
Prayed him our of Sodom

Several places along the way Abraham built an alter and worshipped
What does Lot think about that?

I have to imagine, long after Abraham is gone, Lot is siting around ontemplating his lie. He is remembering all the ways that Abraham loved and cared for him in his life.
We don't know if he went to them, but Lot at lease knew where the alters were

So what? Think back into your past....application
who loved u in spite of your youthful indiscreations
who saw to the good in you?
Who rescued you when you were in trouble
Who taught you how to rescue yourself

Who prayed for you
Who were those people, saints of God who taught us the faith
Opened the doors
Gave us the info that when the time wa right, the spirit make it real

It is fitting that we pause to say thnks and praise God for every person who helped to shape us and cared for us
Who left behind alters for us to worship??

Let me say a work about some of thoses in my past
I am thankful for my college roommate Dallas Moore, Cncinnati Ohio, boy did we have fun times

I am thankful for my friend Bob Walls, who at a moment of pain, gave me some advice on how to manage life's junk. Would you like to hear it?

I am thankful for the grandman Brinman, Toopta, who visualized conversion
i am dying without dignity

I am thankful for Bob Tuttle - he taught me a different approach to spirituality
relevance

I am thankful for my Dad...
  • do the right thing son,
  • do you really need that
    how many pairs f shoes can you wear at once
    Seek first the kingdom of God
  • Don't blow your won horn
    God resists the proud, gives grace to the humble

I am thnakful for my mom
There is or horatio that is dreamed of in your philosophies
Pride cometh before a fall

The voice of my mother calls from the grave
Love them Jeff. just love them, that is all that matters

And I am also thankful for the painful parts of my past
I am thankful for my mistakes
They knocked me off of my high horss
They caused me to look at others in a different way
They caused me to trust god instead of myself

Psalm94:19 - When anxiety was great within me, our consolation brought joy to my soul.

I am thankful for my past and for the alter that others have built as a place for me to give thanks.

When you look back into your past Who are you thanful for?

Who put up with you craziness
Who loved you just the way you are
Who built alters and them showed you were they were?

Let's praise God and give thanks for all of the good and dfficult things that have brought us to this place today.
At least we know where the alters are.

No comments: